How to choose ultra-compact printers
Why choose an ultra-compact printer?
Office equipment is getting smaller and more compact as technology develops. The first printers only printed numbers and people were amazed when they were able to print at 150 lines per minute. You may remember those dinosaurs that weighed a ton and needed their very own desk! Today, you can carry your Canon pixma in your bag and print in colour at a speed of 9 pages per minute. These technological developments are actually very useful and make your life much easier if you regularly work away from the office or you want to be able to print invoices (or other documents) when you’re visiting your customers. Today’s ultra-compact printers let you do things that would have been impossible just a few years ago.
Ultra-compact or compact?
Before going into more detail, allow me to clarify this for you. There are compact and ultra-compact printers available on the market, let’s look at the differences between the two:
- Compact printers: these are traditional printers that don’t take up a lot of space. What I mean by a traditional printer is a desktop printer designed to stay in your office. These compact printers are practical for professionals looking for a printer that won’t take up much space in their premises whilst also offering a good print quality.
- Ultra-compact printers: these printers are not designed to be used as desktop printers. They are designed to be used on-the-go and are not for high-volume printing (around 300 prints per month).
Now this has been clarified, let’s take a look at ultra-compact printers in more detail.
The advantages of ultra-compact printers
No need to drive a Ford Mustang at top speed on Route 66 to feel completely free, just treat yourself to an ultra-compact printer and you will feel as free as a bird! Ultra-compact printers offer considerable advantages for businesses. Here are just a few:
- Obviously the main advantage of these printers is that they are portable. You can carry them around with you wherever you go, and some are battery powered to make life even easier for you. This feature allows you to supply your customers, suppliers and other people you work with all the essential documents they need when you visit them. This can be very useful for ensuring you have the right documents at the right time – no more forgetting to invoice a customer when you get back to the office.
- An excellent print quality for all those important documents.
- If you don’t want to be bothered with a cable, you can opt for a printer with an in-built battery. This can be a real bonus and the performance of batteries is forever improving to offer even higher levels of printing autonomy.
You now know what ultra-compact printers can offer you if you decide to take the plunge. But before doing so (as you would for any printer or piece of equipment), you need to be certain that your business really needs it. Ask yourself the question “Is this printer really going to improve the way I work?”
What are ultra-compact printers designed for?
These printers have been designed for specific types of professional activity. If you don’t move around a lot for your job, an ultra-compact printer will probably be of little use to you. On the other hand, if you are a sales rep or perhaps a financial services consultant, this type of printer will be extremely useful to you as it allows you to print on-the-go.
Once you have made the decision to purchase an ultra-compact printer, you need to select your machine using the criteria that is the most relevant for your business and your working comfort:
- Resolution: an important criterion measured in dpi (dots per inch), which will determine the print quality.
- Print speed: shown in ppm (pages per minute). (Note that colour printers will have a separate print speed for colour and monochrome.
- Memory: a determining aspect since the more memory a printer has the longer the printer queue can be.
- Connectivity: this criterion is becoming increasingly important. Nowadays, it is actually sometimes faster to print a document using your smartphone than your computer. Depending on the type of business you have, you can choose several connectivity options.
Ultra-compact printers are portable printers. This makes them very useful for professionals who visit their customers frequently. If this is not the case for you, you may want to read our article which explains how to choose the right professional printer. If, on the other hand, an ultra-compact printer is exactly what you’re looking for, then check out at our different products and contact our experts here.